Sunday, December 19, 2010

Bonus update! Minecraft! And its evilness...

I've started playing Minecraft. I purchased it a few weeks ago, because it's relatively cheap, and I've heard that it is a good and fun sandbox game. I tried getting it to run on my netbook, with great difficulty, to the point where I said fuck it, and gave up. I decided to try again to get it working a few days ago, first on my desktop.

I got it up and running, and running fairly well, so I attempted getting it running on my netbook again, and it does work on there now. It runs slower than on my desktop, and I have to have the draw distance set to the lowest it can be, and it still lags a bit at times, but I actually have it running.

So anyway, I started a new world on my desktop, and didn't know what the hell I was doing, so I wandered around killing cows, sheep, pigs and chickens, and then it got dark, and I died. After this horrible experience I thought that it was best to look up a quick tutorial on how to actually play the game, since just trying to figure it out myself wasn't working at all.
The tutorial I found, on the Minecraft wiki, helped me out quite a lot, it showed me what to do, what to harvest first, how to combine things, and so on and so forth. In my second world, since I abandoned and deleted my first world, I went out and cut down some trees, made a mining pick, found some coal, and built a base. I messed something up in this world, I can't remember what it was though, but it annoyed me so I deleted and started over again.
At the start of this world, I noticed that there was a massive forest fire, which amused me. Almost every single tree that I could see was on fire. I found a corner of the forest fire and built my base there. This base was fairly good, I dug tunnels down underneath the base, and pottered around, then I died, and found that I was MILES from my base. It turns out that it's a bad idea to build your base after wandering around for half of a game day. Start over time.

So this would've been my fourth world. I started on a beach, which I liked, there were plenty of trees around, and there was a nice patch of desert not far away where I could build myself a quarry. Things were going to work on this world, I decided, I would get it right this time.
My base was built almost right next door to my spawning point, always handy, and just across a small stretch of water I had started building a quarry, which was getting me a lot of sand, which could be smelted into glass so that I could make the front of my base out of glass. This is useful, I've found, because then you can see out during the night, and can easily tell when daylight is coming.
There were about four floors to my base, tunneling downwards. I had built all of the floors out of glass as well, so that at any point from inside my base, I could see outside to see what time of the day it was. I had built a giant tower of stone on the roof of my base, which stretched into the sky, it had torches on it so that if I decided to go for a wander, I could easily find my way back home. There were plenty of trees around near my base as well, I had planted a few myself, some on top of my base, which were epic trees that I didn't want to cut down, due to their sheer awesomeness. I actually had plans to build a level of my base inside of the trees.
My quarry was epic. It was 20 blocks square, with a covered over glass roof. I built a glass bridge from my house to my quarry, so that I didn't have to swim over each night, and the bridge was fully lit, so that even during the night I didn't have to worry about anything when travelling to and from my quarry. I even built a small building at the top of my quarry that you needed to get into to be able to get down into the quarry, which made the whole place safe. After I had dug about 10 blocks down I had a wee side room built into the side of my quarry, as a sort of mini base, for when I couldn't be bothered travelling all the way back to my main base at the end of each day. At 20 blocks deep I found a large tunnel system, but there wasn't anything interesting in there, so I walled that off. On top of that wall I had placed a layer of dirt, upon which I planted trees. Yes, I had trees planted about 20 blocks down under the water level, and the trees were growing.

After getting about 25 blocks deep I was bored of digging out my quarry. It was hard work, I was digging day and night, I had plenty of torches so that at night I could just set them up in my quarry and not worry about anything ambushing me from the other side of the large area I was excavating. I decided to see how far down it was until I reached the bedrock, and couldn't tunnel down any further. I tunneled downwards, spiralling down and down and down. On my way I encountered some gold, and some redstone, both of which I had never encountered before, so I was pleased. Not far down I got to the bedrock, and wanted to explore. I picked a direction and started tunneling.

In this tunnel I managed to find more gold, and redstone, a lot of coal, and even some diamond, I was happy, but what I was actually seeking down in the lower depths of the world, was lava. I wanted lava so I could make myself a nice wee lava pit so that I didn't need to use my wood to fuel my furnace any more. And find lava I did. I tunneled myself right into a stream of lava. Thankfully I managed to wall it off before it could kill me. I found the source of the stream of lava, and a whole mess of tunnels. I was chuffed. There was coal veins all over the place, redstone, more diamonds, more gold, and iron. This place was awesome. Of course, I did managed to step into the lava, set myself on fire, and run screaming back down towards my quarry only to die along the way, but that's OK, all of my things were still there when I walked back from my spawn point.

So I explored the tunnels, dug out quite a lot of different minerals. I set myself up a work bench and furnace down there so that I didn't have to wander back up to my base to smelt the gold that I was finding, I had lit the tunnels up with torches so that nothing would spawn down there and kill me.

STOP HERE. Now, if you want a nice and happy story, please stop reading. If you want to think that I had a lovely time down there, and I get everything I wanted to and went back to my base all happy, as happy as Larry, so to speak, then feel free to believe that, but I urge you to not read on if you want to keep that image in your head.

Here is where tragedy struck. I was happily wandering around, when I heard the sound of a zombie. I looked all around, and couldn't see one, so I figured that he was in a tunnel along side the one I was in, and that he wouldn't bother me. Hah, I wish I was that lucky.
I was about to mine some more coal when I heard the zombie, and he was close this time. I turned around AND THERE HE WAS! He had snuck up RIGHT behind me! I hadn't expected this, so I panicked. I attempted to pull out my sword to attack, but he was coming towards me, I turned to run! And ran straight into a lava pool. A deep lava pool. Before I had realized it, I was sitting on the bottom of the pool, being all dead. With all of my stuff.

I respawned, and my heart sank. What would happen to all of my stuff, sitting at the bottom of a pool of lava? I raced back down there, so seek out my things.
They were gone. All gone. Everything that I had mined down there, all of my coal, my gold, my redstone... My .... Diamonds... Gone...
I felt like crying, I really did. I tried to continue playing that world, but I just can't. I know what I have lost there. I won't delete that world, but I won't play it again either. I have started again, anew. I have learnt my lesson, and that was a lesson of greed. I won't let it happen to me again.

And so, this was my tragic tale, of Minecraft, of finding fun and joy, and tragedy and heartbreak.

Thank you for reading this bonus update.

EDIT: Sorry, just had to add a happy ending onto this, sort of. This is on my new world, I started off with two trees outside my base, so I harvested them and planted more. This is the third tree to grow, and it is an epic tree.
Epic tree is epic.

1 comment: