Tuesday, December 14, 2010

DVD Review: Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World

As a change from last weeks movie review, I'm going to do a review of the Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World DVD, as opposed to doing a review of just the movie.
To begin with, lets take a look at the case. Well, I'll look at the case, you can just pretend to see it because I don't currently have a scanner to scan it in, and I'm far too lazy to try and find an image of it. Ok, so it has a reversible cover, which is awesome. I love reversible covers, I've already reversed the cover. Well, thats all I really have to say about the cover at the moment.

So I've just put the DVD into my DVD player, and it doesn't have a stupid anti piracy thing, which is awesome. Instead, it has a big THANK YOU for purchasing the DVD. After that it auto plays a little trailer for Blu-ray, which makes me want a Blu-ray player, but that's beside the point, it is slightly annoying. Next it plays trailers for some up coming movies, which is also annoying, I'd rather they not auto play them and just have them in the extras, so I can choose to watch them at a later date.

As for the special features, it has a few. There's deleted scenes, outtakes, feature commentary, technical commentary, cast commentary and galleries. I'll list what each one is as I watch them, currently I'm just watching the movie so it may take a while to get through everything. You won't notice the time difference though, as I'll only post this once I've finished writing it all up, but if you feel like waiting for however long it takes me to look at each different section of the special features for an authentic feel of waiting between me writing each part, then feel free to, I won't stop you.

The first section I'll look at is the galleries, which won't take me 108 minutes to look at, only a minute or two. Hmm, this is taking me longer than I thought, just bear with me for a bit longer. HEY! It automatically goes to the next pic in the gallery after a few seconds, like a slide show, that's kind of nifty. There's a tonne of different sections in the gallery, I thought it'd only be a small few, like promo shots and that sort of thing, but there's a lot more than just that. There's 12 different galleries, and they all have a fair amount of pictures in them, it'd be interesting to go through them all, if you're into that sort of thing. I'm not really, but some people might be. Oh, it has an awesome Graphic Novel Comparison Gallery, which is nifty. It has scenes from the movie next to panels from the comic, showing their similarities. It's nifty. Anyway, onto the next section, and next I'll look at...

Deleted scenes! It has either with or without commentary, I'm watching them without first, then I'll watch them with. It's always interesting watching the deleted scenes, to see what they kept, and what they got rid of. They've listed the scene numbers at the start of each deleted scenes, which is also interesting. This section seems very interesting. Some of the scenes are without special effects, which is, again, interesting to watch. There are a lot of deleted scenes, I also didn't expect there to be as many as there are. This section is also taking a while to do. I can see why some of them were deleted, because they were a little longer than they needed to be, some of them having unnecessary things in them. Almost finished watching them, and I do suggest you all do the same. And in a moment I'll be watching the deleted scenes with commentary, which should add some insight into why they were deleted/changed. The commentary is fascinating by the way! You learn what the director had for breakfast one day. I won't spoil it for you, you'll have to watch them for yourselves to find out what it was and where it is, muahahahaha! And now on to the next section.

Outtakes! Outtakes are another section of DVDs that I love, they're always amusing. I'll let you know how amusing these ones are once I've watched them. Wait here for a second while I watch them... Ok, so they weren't as entertaining as I hoped, but still worth a gander.

Next on the agenda is the Trivia Track, according to the DVD menu, which I'm guessing is the Technical Commentary that's listed on the DVD case. It looks like it's just a subtitle track listing interesting information about the scenes, set design, props and costumes. It is interesting, and would be worth a watch, but I did just watch the movie, and it'd be like just watching it again without much extra, so I'm going to skip watching this and move straight onto audio commentary. Oh, wait, it does have three commentary tracks, they didn't just skimp out on me, there's an extra here that ISN'T listed on the DVD case, awesome.

Ok, so commentary tracks. I'm not going to watch all of them and then say which is better/worse, I'll just list here who does what commentary, and you can decide whether or not to watch them. So, the Feature Commentary has Director/Co-Writer Edgar Wright, Co-Writer Michael Bacall, and the author of the comic, Bryan Lee O'Malley. The Technical Commentary has Edgar Wright again, and Director Of Photography Bill Pope. Lastly, Cast Commentary. Wait, there's two Cast Commentary tracks? Wow, that's awesome. So there's FOUR commentary tracks. They're packing more and more extras into this as I write it seems! Anyway, first Cast Commentary track has Michael Cera, Jason Schwartzman, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Ellen Wong, and Brandon Routh. Second Cast Commentary track has Anna Kendrick, Aubrey Plaza, Kieran Culkin, and Mark Webber. Looks like they'll all be interesting, I may come back after I've watched them and add notes here to say how good and/or interesting they are.

So overall, it is jam packed with special features, more than is listed on the DVD case it seems. I am extremely pleased with my purchase of this DVD, as not only is it an awesome movie, but again, it has a lot of features. Please, go out and purchase it, even if you do it just for the thank you that you'll get when you put it in your DVD player.

Thank you all for reading!

Just a random side note, my blog now has a facebook page, mostly because I was bored last night. There is a link to it over there --> at the side of the page, probably considerably higher than that arrow just pointed, its near the top... No, a little higher... Too high now, a little lower... There it is, click that, and go like my facebook page, please. I need more likes!

Thanks again for reading, you are all awesome.

1 comment: